West Mercia Women’s Aid
Our Survivors’ Network is an online community for survivors of domestic abuse who have accessed support from our service. This community is a safe space for women to come together to chat, meet like-minded individuals and extend their support system, whilst keeping in touch with our service.
One of the most important aspects is the group process itself; women are creating a space for themselves to relate to each other as peers, establish strong bonds with one another, and develop supportive relationships based on their shared experiences.
This group dynamic creates an atmosphere of understanding, encouragement and support, which in turn reduces the feelings of loneliness, shame and isolation that so often accompany abusive relationships.
Women belonging to self-help groups have identified the following benefits as a result of their participation:
- Having a space for sharing (both their stories and emotions, and information about resources and/or other services in their community) with others who understand what they have been through
- Gaining the companionship and support of other women
- Developing the autonomy to address some of their problems or concerns about their life situations
- Gaining access to the service development and decision making structures of the facilitating organisation
- Developing skills such as events organising and fundraising
- Developing valuable and long-lasting friendship networks
Currently available via Facebook, this group is run by members of WMWA staff. The group is private and can only be accessed with admin approval.
Looking for help?
24HR DOMESTIC ABUSE HELPLINE
Herefordshire & Shropshire:
Call 0800 783 1359
Telford & Wrekin:
Call 0800 840 3747
Call 0800 980 3331
We also have Livechat available from 9am until 5pm, Monday to Friday for those who want to contact our helpline silently or who prefer to text rather than talk.
If you are in immediate danger please call 999