Ensuring that those affected by domestic abuse can go on to lead trauma free lives is at the very heart of what we do; that’s why our partnership with Rock Pool – a provider of training opportunities that aims to inspire hope, promote resilience and aid recovery for people affected by trauma – is so important to us.
Along with eight other partners we trialled and tested the online Domestic Abuse Recovery Toolkit on behalf of Rock Pool; pre-pandemic we have used their face-to-face toolkit to great effect.
The company was awarded £85,350 from The Big Lottery Coronavirus Community Support Fund to deliver an online version of the training. Prior to the pandemic, the Toolkit was delivered face-to-face for two hours a week over 12 weeks. The online version of the toolkit was delivered nationally through 40 programmes to 233 participants from October 2020 to April 2021.
Our Chief Executive Sue Coleman said: “The impact of this programme for those who took part has been really encouraging and we are delighted with the many positive outcomes. We are especially pleased as we have had to adapt to delivering it online, and we remain committed to finding new and innovative ways to offer support for those recovering from domestic abuse. The women who took part really flourished on the course and we have been heartened and humbled by their feedback.”
Some of the benefits included:
- Helping individuals to understand they were not at fault or responsible for the abuse they experienced
- Enabling participants to identify the coercion and control they have experienced, giving them techniques to address these
- Providing a safe space for people to share similar experiences and to realise that they are not alone and that recovery is possible
- Helping participants to improve their self-esteem and assertiveness in a way that means they can negotiate healthier lifestyles and remain abuse free
- Providing real hope and potential for participants to live abuse free lives in the future
To read the full online delivery project report please visit: